Formula One championship leader Nico Rosberg has extended his lead at the top after he sealed victory at the Japanese Grand Prix ahead of young Dutch Max Verstappen and Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton.
This represents a first ever victory for Rosberg in Suzuka while defending champion Hamilton on the other hand did well to recover from a bad start to finish third but he still suffered a big blow in his quest to retain his title.
The British driver is now 33 points behind the German with just 100 points still available from the remaining four races though the result posted by the two favourites means Mercedes have won the constructors’ championship.
Japanese Grand Prix Results:
1. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) Germany
2. Max Verstappen (Red Bull) Netherlands
3. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) Great Britain
1. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) Germany 313 points
2. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) Great Britain 280 points
3. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 212 points