Here are Rashidi Yekini’s 11 most memorable moments, 11 years after her death.
1) At the FIFA World Cup, he scored Nigeria’s first goal.
2) With 37 goals in 62 games, Yekini is Nigeria’s all-time leading scorer.
3) In 1993, he was named African Player of the Year, becoming the first Nigerian to win the continent’s top individual honour after three decades of misses.
4) He led the Ivory Coast League in goal scoring in 1988, 1989, and 1990.
5) In 1993, he was the leading scorer in the Portuguese Primeira Liga.
6) In 1994, he was appointed to the Order of the Niger.
7) Yekini has played for Nigerian clubs such as Shooting Stars, Gateway United, and Abiola Babes.
cool Between 1984 and 1987, he scored 80 goals in 100 games with the Abiola Babes.
9) In 130 games, he scored 112 goals.
10) He played with Vitoria Setubal of the Portuguese Division 1 in Europe between 1990 and 1994, making 114 matches and scoring 91 goals. He also won the Golden Boot in his final campaign with Vitoria Setubal.
11) Following the 1994 World Cup, he went on to play for the Spanish club Sporting Gijon and the Greek club Olympiacos before returning to Vitoria Setubal on loan.